I had to weed the pond today- the water soldiers have multiplied at a rapid rate, and the starwort just keeps taking over. It seems to be trying to out-do the duckweed this year. I also fished out two huge clumpbs of watercress, leaving two other baskets still full of it. The frogs like hiding in amongst it when the sun is out, so I try and leave them plenty.
With a small pond it doesn't take long for things to overwhelm it. It's quite murky this year as well... which means it's going to need emptying and cleaning this autumn- that is NOT a job I look forward to.
When we cleaned our pond a good few years ago it was an amusing battle with the frogs.
Netting them was easy but keeping them out was the difficult part. It seemed every one placed under a shrub or deep in undergrowth immediately turned around and headed back. We stopped counting when we had removed around 40 of the slippery little characters.
Tony's suggestion of using a pump to a good one, but eventually when we got down to the sludge the pump struggled a bit and there was the danger of injuring the remaining frogs, the only way was shoes and socks off, getting in and bailing.