I have a herb garden more for the flowers and insects than for culinary use. Within this 'garden' spaced out between other herbs are three Comfrey. All three are covered in what i presume is some sort of mold. It is only the Comfrey that is affected, which seems a bit strange to me. Any ideas? and should I remove the the Comfrey
I found this page with tips on how to prevent mold from growing on plants, so maybe one of these would work... I did notice that garlic spray, (which I'm using at the moment on some young plants being eaten by beetles) will discourage all insects, so the bees who normally like comfrey might start avoiding it.
Very interesting. What I want to avoid it affecting the bees/bumble bees. They have a hard enough time here as it is. I think, as I have three large Comfrey and only two are affected I will cut them back, especially as between them I have a very precious rose (sentimental) thank for the link interesting reading and will keep the garlic spray in mind.
My comfrey never did recover... I finally cut back all the leaves few days ago. I've read that it's the sterile and non-seeding 'Bocking' hybrids which are more susceptible to fungus and things like that. Just to see, I bought some of the ordinary native comfrey seeds back in mid-summer and started them. They didn't get very big, (I should have planted them sooner) but I'm hoping they survive the winter and come back next spring- I'm interested to see how they fare in comparison to my older plants.
Last Edit: Oct 17, 2017 19:33:08 GMT by rowanberry
I cut back my Comfrey. It was probably just the right time as it grew back quite quickly, don't know if it got confused or what but despite all the rain it flowered twice and although totally drooped down with it's own weight and continual rain still has flowers on. I got mine along with other herbs from The Black Isles - the growers only grow native plants mainly herbal. I was marginally amused when I ordered them, that I got an Email saying they would only send them when it was the right time to plant them out. When they did arrive the invoice and instructions had obviously been done by a person with muddy hands busy planting plants. Having had endless failures planting here I decided that my best option was to find someone who actually grew and developed plants that grew in the central belt or Highlands. So Happy!
Not so happy that despite the masses of flowers, very few insects to make use of them.